Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Military Spouses

I have been doing some reflection over the last week. So many of my dear friends have celebrated R&R (the 2 week break the military gives you when you are deployed to Iraq), and now are sending their loved ones back to war. I see the sadness in their eyes, but the strong stature that they show. It's sad really, and if you are a military spouse, you understand without words even being spoken what turmoil is looming within that person. R&R is the best of times and the worst of times all in a two week period!

So many people don't truly understand the military family. I can't tell you how often I have been told, " Wow! You are such a strong woman." You have NO idea! What I'd really like to do is crawl in a hole, pull the blanket over my head and hit the fast forward button on life when my husband is deployed. (Am I wrong military spouses??? Wouldn't it be nice to have the FF button?) It doesn't happen that way though... There isn't a fast forward button, and I have two (almost 3) little people that I can't let down no matter what. I'm not strong... I just don't have a say per se and I have to do what I have to do to keep my family going. My husband has a duty. He made an oath, and this is what must be done. I married into this life... I may have been naive as to what it was like, but I knew what I was getting into.

So often I have wished that my husband had the 9 to 5 job where he was home every night... home for dinner with the family... home to have breakfast with the kids and I in the morning. I get that sometimes, but often dinner takes a backseat to a long meeting or a range or some other "fun" activity and PT is too early for me ( ha ha ha). I'm not complaining... When my husband isn't overseas, I do see him at night and on most weekends he is home to watch my kids in their sporting events. But there is a vicious cycle... While I enjoy my husband being at home another wife wants to hit the FF button so her husband is home too.

Over the last week, I have sat silently praying. Praying for my sisters.... The ones that are waiting now... Wanting to crawl in the hole and reliving the memories in their minds. They aren't always strong... Perhaps a hand squeeze or a quick hug is what they need to pick them up. It lets them know they aren't "Super Women," but that you are thinking of them. :)

2 comments:

Amber said...

This is what you are meant to do in TX - encourage when you can, love when it's difficult, and persevere above all because we have the hope that God is in control and He is working all things for good. Love you sweet friend and I am so proud of you!!

Kay said...

R&R was an eye opener for us as well! trying to enjoy the time we had, prepping for the birth of our 4th, knowing that our time clock was ticking down the minute for his departure.... it was horrible!!! yet sweet and wonderful at the same time. we try to counsel folks on the marriage retreat before a deployment that just after R&R is when the blues kick in and your support team needs to be ready. great blog post!!!