No Friday Frags this week friends. I am sure I can dig up many since this week was one of THOSE weeks, but I thought I'd blog about this because well, it's something I am thankful for.
Yesterday start off completely on the wrong foot. I was scheduled for an amniocentesis to check for fetal lung maturity. (Basically, Baby A is very large:7 pounds at 35 weeks and 5 more weeks to add about a pound more a week, and I am suffering from polyhydramnios : too much amniotic fluid). Nothing was too serious, but coupled with my age and my fear of still birth, my perinatologist recommended an amnio. No big deal... Worse case scenario at 37 weeks is that you have to give the baby surfactant, and we may spend a few days in the NICU if the procedure pops the amniotic bag and labor begins.
Yesterday, I woke up to a husband with a "man cold" and my youngest with pinkeye; oh and that my amnio was not on the schedule for the day. Huh??? Not on the books? I'm not really sure what happened there, but the Labor and Delivery Charge Nurse assured me she would have it under control and get back to me.
I guess it was a blessing of sorts since I was able to get my youngest to a doctor for his pinkeye, and my DH treated for his man cold. I have to admit, I was kinda worried about the husband since this "cold" seemed VERY nasty!!! Anyway, in the midst of going from doctor to doctor, the Labor and Delivery nurse calls and tells me that she needs me in L&D now. Oh yes!!! I am going to have a procedure that could lead to labor without my husband.... Ummm, I was scared! Not to panic though because I COULD do this if need be... Not that I wanted to, but I could!
I had started to map out a plan the night before when M came home from work and looked horrible. I would sleep in the baby's room for the night and I called my dear friend, Ginger and put her on baby alert for the next day. She was ready, so I knew I could call her. Could I call her NOW and have her meet me at the hospital? Everything had been stop and go to this point, so I figured she would be busy with her day... I couldn't just call and say, " Help!" I did though! I called and asked if she could be there to keep M informed and to keep me sane ( I was pretty nervous!) Believe it or not, she was there before me! LOL
We trekked up to L&D together and I checked in and was directed to a "birthing suite." Of all the birthing suites I have been too between myself and visiting friends... Umm, this one was quite tiny. Ginger had to climb between the bed and the baby warmer just to get to the chair in the far back corner of the room. And I geared up for this test.
The first part of an amnio is making sure your baby and yourself are in good condition, so they hook you up to a contraction monitor and a fetal heart rate monitor. The NST part is boring, and it gives you lots of time to think about everything that is going to happen "in a minute." I have a grand imagination, so you can only imagine WHAT is going through my mind. I'm glad Ginger was there because I must have asked a zillion questions about different things like what was the NST monitor reading? What in the heck were the disco lights/mirrors in the ceiling at the foot of the bed going to be used for? Why did my IV site burn (being a nursing student, trust me they aren't supposed to burn)? All kinds of things. The nurse even thought she was my sister. I could see that, we both have dark hair and look like we could pass as sisters... If I could have picked a sister, I would have picked her because besides my friends Amber and Renee, she is probably the most calm cool and collected woman I know. I need that side to help me out sometimes. :)
And then it was time... Thank goodness they didn't do a BP on my at that moment because this was it... This was the moment that scared me to death. Why??? DO you like needled going into your stomach??? Nerve wracking!!!. Ginger stood up and stood by my bed and we watched as Dr. H scanned my belly. I have to tell you, the highlight here was when the doctor asked me if I knew what I was having, and Ginger lit up. When I told Dr. H yes, but just make sure one more time, I could really see Ginger light up and get excited. I wish I had taken her to all of my ultrasound appointments, but then it might not have been so novel. I think ultrasounds (for babies) are fun! They move and wiggle and have their own little personalities in the womb, and it was awesome to share my experience with me one who seemed as excited as I was.
It gets better though... Ginger got to watch the entire procedure of the Amnio. Now, let me tell you... I DID NOT! I watched the ceiling and babbled about how we picked baby A's name until it was 100% completely done. Ginger loved it!!! I swear she would make a good PA because she just has the knack for that kind of thing. She is REALLY good at it, and I'm pretty confident that she could have done one on her own after seeing the one performed... She's just good like that. I really picked a good partner when it comes to medical stuff. After it was all over, and I was back on the monitors for baby checks. She was still excited and we spent the rest of the time talking about what we thought the results could be, and that we were really only moments away from seeing Baby A, and how did time fly. I thought about how I couldn't wait until one of her girls was pregnant and having a baby. How exciting that is going to be! They are young for now, but in not too many years they should be ready though. I can't wait to see her excitement with them (minus the amnio of course).
Tomorrow if the L&D department isn't swamped and Baby A doesn't decide to come on her own tonight... I should be induced. M (if he's better) will be on one side and then Ginger will be on the other. Both will be my strength and I go through labor one more time. I couldn't ask for better support especially from a friend, my battle buddy. :)
Thanks Ginger for being a big part of my life here in TX. Military friends float like dandelion seeds... We hang on to each other for dear life sometimes then separate and have to drift alone, but we all land in the great big field. Thanks for being my battle buddy through deployments, TDY's and crazy field exercises. I have no idea what we will do when you guys head to your new assignment. I think I might have to become a flight attendant so I can visit you all at least two times a year. :) Maybe a flight doctor? Do they have those on commercial airlines? :)
1 comment:
Oh wow! I noticed you were missing last night but I didn't realize why! Wishing you all the best! Looking forward to hearing the news that your baby girl is here!
Post a Comment