Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Cards...

When did we all get so impersonal? I know photo cards are my favorite! This gives me a chance to send pictures of the family all over at one time and I don't have to worry about if I sent them to so and so, etc. And let's face it... Holiday cards are my route to get that out. But have we as a society gotten a little overly detached with photo cards? It does everything for you... Puts "Happy Holidays!" or "Merry Christmas" or any other catch phrase you want to choose, signs you names and ta da... You are done!

Then you add the famous Christmas news letter... Oh, yes I too include one of these fabulous letters every year. Again, this gives me a chance to get out everything we have been up to all year in a one time shot. I send over 100 Christmas cards a year to family, friends, etc. And I LOVE IT!

BUT... I try to, on each card put something personal, like thinking of you which is the truth I honestly do think about many people... Like how nice it must be to have snow or that their husband is home or that they went on a tropical vacation... Did they remember me... You know... The typical things we think about during "thinking of you moments." Or I note that I miss them... Which again I DO... More than many of you know! I really do try to put a personal touch on my cards. To me it takes away from the sterile-ness of a photo Christmas card with a photocopied newsletter. I hope people feel my personal touch... And I might add... I hand address each and every card I mail. :) This often stirs up fond memories of each person too. Like Wow... I miss The Netherlands, or hmmm... Maybe Hawaii would be a great place to visit this Spring... Or remember that road trip Senior year... Oh wait, yeah let's not go there... Ha Ha Ha...

But lately, I've noticed that most of the cards I receive are just that... Signed cards or sterile photo cards with newsletters. Have we become so detached or busy that we don't have time to tell our loved ones or friends that we really do miss them/ love them/ wish they were closer? This saddens me because I've been seeing society head in this direction for awhile now, but I never thought it would hit so close to home. I love that people thought of me during Christmas which is a very busy time. But I want you to remember me because you want to, not because I sent you a card or because you have to write Christmas cards or whatever other reason. Send me an Easter card or a card because it's summer and you wish I was at the beach with you. :)

This Christmas... Send REAL cards to people! Even if you only send 5... Tell those people how you really feel. Break the impersonal cycle!!!

Life is good! :)

2 comments:

Angie Ortiz said...

I completely agree! And I have to say when we got your card, I stopped and smiled when I saw the personalized note on the photo card! Thank you, you are ABSOLUTELY right! Have a great holiday season!

Renee said...

I am amazed by how much thought you put into each card you send for all occasions, I keep telling myself I need to be better at making more personalized connections to people. I love getting your cards and look forward to them ALL year long. Happy Holidays!