Whew! I am glad to be home... Well, to be honest not really, I think I would have rather stayed in Hawaii. Besides being a ways away from family I couldn't find any other draw back if we were asked to stay there. As a matter of fact, it started to make M think about what would need to be done to be stationed there. Woo Hoo!!!
Here are my top 10 highlights from our trip:
10 Flowers!
Everywhere there are flowers in Hawaii!!! And they bloom all year round. Trees have flowers and bushes... Waterfalls have flowers in the rocks around them. They are beautiful!!!
9. History
There is a ton of history in Hawaii from the time of it's natives, kings and queens to WWII history. In order to grow in our own selves we should learn about our own personal history both the good and the bad and learn of other's histories.
8. Culture...
There are multiple Polynesian Islands and each one has their own uniqueness about them. In Tonga, we learned about the use of drums and conch shell calling as well as how to make Tapa. In Fiji we learned how to use Bamboo from building huts to musical instruments and we learned about the importance of tattooing. In the Hawaiian Islands we learned about Hula and how different it is from the Tahitian Hula. We also learned that like books were banned because of indecency in the US, the traditional Hula dances and stories were banned by the English Missionaries that came to tame the island. In Samoa, we learned how to make fire from wood, how men cook and women work and how to climb coconut trees. OH and than Men wear skirts!
7. Climbing Coconut Trees looks easy, but I wouldn't try it at home!
6. Dives are amazing!
The Sea Turtle was found at about 103 feet below the water surface. Green Sea turtles often come down to this Navy ship wreck and rest. There were HUGE Surgeon fish in the area too which makes it a little tricky for divers as they can cut through wetsuits.
5. Views
No matter where you go there is a view!!!
4. The Beach!
You can't help but enjoy the crystal waters... About a mile out there were reefs (sorry didn't take the camera out) which were beautiful. Most surfing is done out past the reef where the swells are much larger. I was too tired and it was rainy when we visited the North Shore. Our next visit will probably be in the North Shore area where the waves and beaches are amazing!!!
3. Relaxation... Notice there are no photos of that... I took a break. LOL
2. Food... I don't have any pictures to show of that either, but they have some amazing fruits that are wonderful... Like POG juice (Pineapple, Orange, Guava) and a coconut tasting syrup that is really great on Belgian waffles with strawberries! Luau food is okay IF you stay away from the Poi. LOL
1. Spending time with Family! That is what I most enjoyed! During the time of non-vacations were are driving or moving in 4 different directions. Vacations tend to bring us together. I really enjoyed our time as a family. Silly faces and silly stories... Just being together away from the daily element is worth every minute!!!
And so I am plotting our next vacation getaway... I'm thinking Maui. Hmmm....
1 comment:
Who knew that Hawaii was SO educational?! That's awesome.
Post a Comment