Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hodge Podge Wednesday

Woo Hoo! It's Wednesday ALREADY! We are halfway to the finish line of the week and to be honest I am READY! M has been very busy at work and I am hoping for some down time with him before he gears up for another busy week next week. Phew!

I'm joining Joyce From This Side of the Pond to share my zany answers to Hodge Podge Wednesday! :)


1. Do you like your name? Were you named after someone? If you have children how did you settle on their names?
I do now, but I can remember when I was younger I didn't. :) My name is Shannon. It's a beautiful Irish name, and can be used suitably for both a male and female. I hated it when I was younger for just that reason. It seemed like there were more boys names Shannon than girls, and all my friends had trendy names like Jennifer or Tiffany. I wanted a trendy name that came on all the stickers and pencils and yes, those mini bicycle license plates. I wasn't lucky enough for that until I grew older and they didn't matter much anymore.

My first name is 100% mine. When I was born, my Mom was fully prepared to name me, Katherine Quinter (I don't know HOW she came up with that and never really asked. Ha Ha Ha), but my dad held me for the first time and said, "She is most definitely a Shannon. Small, but wise" So that is how I got my first name. Now I have a family name as my middle, and I guess it adds insult to injury about the above mentioned boy connotation mentioned above, and with that I shall keep it to myself. ;)

2. How do you define success?
Oh... Success is something (I feel) is defined on many levels. It isn't cut and dry. I believe that I am successful... I went to a great college, married and great man, have two and half beautiful children that are turning into great young people with values I admire, and have had a successful career and working on another one. I call it successful, because I have no regrets. Every path I have take has taught me something whether it was hard, sad, easy, enjoyable, etc. I have taken something away that has made me grow. Even failures are a success if you learned from them.

3. Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy?
Jeopardy, but these days I am intrigued by the game show Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader. Some of the stuff they need to know even in 1st grade is not so easy! :)


4. If you could own any single object that you don't have now, what would that object be?
Hmmm... A toughie, but a goody. I don't know just sitting here at the moment. I did enjoy the ring I saw on the Rachel Zoe Project that was 5.8 million. LOL I just can't think of anything right at the moment.


5. What is something that inspires you?
People who work hard and aren't afraid of failure, or they fail but they keep going. I think they inspire me to keep going even when the going gets tough. I met a man in the Wounded Warrior Program... He was in his early 20's with a young wife and a baby and he had lost both of his legs in an IED attack. He wasn't using a wheel chair to get around... He was determined to use prosthetic legs. Did he fall? Yes! Did he cry from pain? Yes! Did he have an idea of what he wanted to be when he grows up? Yes! He told me that he was inspired to be a Nurse just like I was learning to be. He wasn't going to quit just because he had a disability. I was inspired after hearing that because while I have my own obstacles I can work on them one at a time just like he did.


6. Meatloaf-yea or nay? If its a yay how do you make yours?
Yea!!!! I don't make mine in a bread pan like most. I like to make mine in muffin pans. I find that my family prefers the "crispier" edges, so the muffin pans allow for everyone to get an "end" piece. I also use a Rachel Ray recipe... It's out favorite. ;)


7. Which is more admirable-the ability to organize and be methodical or the ability to adapt and make do?
Can you have a 50/50 trait here? I am an organizer. I like to have everything planned out just exactly right and have everything go according to plan. BUT I live in a world that throws curve balls, so I know that sometimes you have to adapt and make do. So while I tend to fall more on the organized side of life ( and wish others did too), I still think that rather than crying over spilled milk or something that didn't/ won't happen you make do, find a new plan and start planning from there.


8. Insert your own random thought here.
Why is it that when you take too many things on, the pot boils over and you end up with a mess? I did just that I think, and I really know better. I am 34 weeks pregnant with SPD and gestational diabetes. I attend on average 4 doctors appointments a week not to mention run a cub scout den and I had to take an online class to keep my Nursing Degree active and not lose my spot, and I am trying to find a nanny for my 3 kiddos so I can finish my Nursing Degree.  I also took on a Bike Run for my sons' school and Box Tops Chairman. While I have been trying to manage all of this, slowly things are slipping. I feel horrible, but I have made people aware. I have pushed my myself for my kids, because they are my kids and I don't want them to do without, but doing it as a single parent I have found is exhausting. I'm not complaining... I just don't know what to do? It seems that no one wants any of the above, and I can't say I blame them. And when I try to do something, I fall short and disappoint. And this is making my stress level shoot through the roof. :( I need suggestions... I know the long term one will be NOT TO OVER DO IT, but I need a bandaid one right now.

4 comments:

Kay said...

how fun!! this hodge podge sounds like a treat to do!! i so enjoy getting to know folks!!

hang in there girl, just a few more days away!!! put your feet up and take a moment to find some peace for yourself! we survived!!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, Shannon, bless your sweet heart! I'm so glad that you recognize that you have a need to lay some things aside and I pray that you will have the wisdom to know how to do it. I cannot imagine the stress that you must be under at this time.

Reading your random thought almost made me forget everything else that you said, but everything else pales in comparison to that.

I'm praying you will have wisdom to make the best decision for your well being and your family's well being. Blessings!

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

I enjoyed readng your answers.

Joyce said...

Be kind to yourself...you have so much on your plate. Can you let just one thing go...sometimes when you do that someone steps in to fill the gap. And you're having a baby! No need to feel guilty about not doing it all...

I love your name...my oldest is Shannon and she is definitely small but wise : ) I don't use their names on my blog but she has her own blog now and has her name in the title. She is still Daughter1 on my blog : )