Friday, April 11, 2008

Lunch?

Many of you have not met the dynamic group of people I work with. They are a fascinating group from all backgrounds. Since we service contract throughout the NCR, we try to meet for lunch at least once a month... This month, the topic was What is harder?



Here is a snippet of the conversation:



Daniel: Which do you think is harder, staying at home raising two kids or working full time?



Jennifer (single, but living with someone): I'd say working because I look at the hours I pull and would love to nap.



Shannon: Wait until you have kids!



Daniel: My wife (who stays at home now giving up a high powered career as a DC lawyer) says that raising two kids is far harder than what I do. I am pulling 60 hour weeks, I don't take naps...



Shannon: You don't plan meals, clean the house, manage the finances, attend playgroups, help out at school, run errands, bath children, okay, so maybe you help bath your children...





I've thought about this; especially now that we will be moving and I debate on whether I want to work or what I want to do? Being a stay at home Mom is HARD! And it's not the hardest job you'll ever love either! When I was a housewife I had super long days. I know, my children where younger than, but the misconception that I took naps while my children were sleeping is far off from the reality. It was during nap times I pulled out the heavy cleaners to clean the kitchen/ bathroom, or mop the floors. I did the groceries, took Connor to school, cleaned, washed clothes, dishes, and balanced the checkbook, hosted play dates, played GI Joe, and many other things during my "lazy days". I also fed the baby at night or rocked someone back to sleep. There was something always going on... I was one busy Momma! That job is NOT for the wimpy!



So what about working? It's a necessity ( at least someone in the household has to do it) . Work is challenging because deadlines are short, you have to get up early, and rewards are little. But you get adult interaction, and people ask you about your thoughts. And not just thoughts about what does green poop mean? Or why are the clouds sometimes white? Sometimes gray? I personally like to be asked for guidance or see instant results of a job well planned and executed! These are happy things for me! When you work at a job you love, it's really rewarding on so many levels!!!


When you're a Mom, you have to wait to see the fruits of your labor. Carefully making sure you don't mold small minds incorrectly! And did I mention it's hard work!


So here was my response to Daniel:



Shannon: It is far harder to be a stay at home Mom. Hands Down! No one offers a bonus because you potty trained your son before he was 3. Just because a stay at home mom doesn't have the high tech suit on doesn't mean she isn't planning a presentation, and my guess is that she's not getting a nap everyday. Sure there are stresses on the work front because there are missed deadlines and layoffs, but there are bonuses and lunches with really dynamic people too. But most importantly.... That stay at home is shaping tomorrow's future every play date, shopping trip, checkbook balance at a time. :)

Daniel: Wow! Never thought of it like that. So how do you do what you do? Work full time and raise kids?

Shannon: By God's guidance, and REALLY great neighbors! :)

No comments: