Saturday, September 4, 2010

Living with Diabetes...

Ugh! Where is my Mother when I need her??? I truly wish she were here or that I listened better right about now. I've been away awhile, and I seriously apologize. It isn't for lack of wanting to blog, but more along the lines of what else can possibly go wrong???

As you can see above, I am now living with diabetes. Apparently this isn't just gestational diabetes either... I had pre-diabetes before even becoming pregnant. This coupled with raging hormones (I swear I am worse than an adolescent teen girl) has caused my pancreas to just completely slow down. Apparently, this is genetic from what my aunt tells me, but I can't for the life of me remember what my Mom said about it. Grr... It wouldn't matter anyway really since I would still have to manage it now. This means that I have to really count my carbs and fats and let me tell you, just about everything anyone consumes has carbs in it! Just look the nutritional facts on the back of anything and you will see how many grams of carbs and fats you consume per serving... Not per bag, can, etc. Even milk, fruit and vegetables contain carbs. Sigh....

Before you tell me it is easy, I task you with this... write down everything you put into your mouth for 1 week. This includes everything you drink, eat, or taste and the amount you consumed. Then sit down and mark 1 Carb for every 15 grams of carbohydrates you consume. Like that big apple? Those can be up to 3 carbs! How about orange juice? 4 oz is 1 Carb.  Then talk to me about how low you keep your Carbs.

Now, I know about Truvia, Stevia, Splenda and Nutra Sweet, but I am pregnant and none of those are good for the baby... They aren't good for me either in large amounts.... By the way, daily is a large amount. :)  I do drink a few sips off of a Diet Rite (Splenda)  sometimes and I do eat the occasional yogurt lite just because I need to, but only once in a blue moon because then it is hard to put it down... I suppose once I am no longer pregnant that I will be able to consume these things a little more regularly, but for now they are a very sparing thing...

Right now, I am trying to find recipes that are healthy and have low carbs... Oh and as to not be too demanding are easy to make. :) I've made the pot roast and the grilled chicken. I've also made pork chops (which still gives me the heebie Jeeves) and other things, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I want flavor and different ways of serving foods, so it isn't all arranged protein, vegetable, carb.... So if you come across something you have that you'd like to share... Please do!!! I am reeling a bit from being diagnosed with a scary disease as well as searching for good eats. :) Any ideas... Send them my way!

No comments: