Thursday, September 9, 2010

Row Row Row Your Boat....

Most of us were jokingly singing this on Tuesday morning when the rain began. We've had a dry spell here in the Heart of Texas and we really needed the rain! Growing up along the coast, I watched the news about Hurricanes. I know their destruction, but I have to admit when you are nearly 3.5 hours from the coast you just don't give much attention to it... I didn't anyway. What's a little rain?

Well.... When you wake up to this:



 Salado Creek before and during the flood


Nolanville, TX near Nolan Creek

You begin to think that the Ark you thought about building might have been something handy to have. 

Our house sits up on the high end of our little valley and looks down into Nolanville. Nolanville sits nestled into the valley. Salado is to our South about 8 miles. All around us was flood waters. Tiny streams turned into raging rivers as the rain fell. We were blessed. When we came out of our little house in the morning it looked simply like it had rained; nothing more. It wasn't until we drove down into the valley that we saw the destruction of 12 inches of rain! Friends lost homes as waters whipped around them and pulled the houses off their foundations. Trailers gone.... Pulled into the nearby swollen waterways. I counted my blessings yesterday as our family and friends emerged one by one from their homes or safe places and we knew that they were okay.

So today starts clean up! It's time for our community to begin to rebuild as the sun rises. I have to admit though.... I wonder how the farmer down the street got his cow out of the tree? .

Count your blessings!!! Every one counts!

No comments: