Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Attachments

I can't possibly be the only Mom with attachments to children's clothes or toys. This weekend, we came home with so many toys we had to make room for them. So, I've been weeding through the stuffed toy animals and some of the other smaller kid toys. One by one I went through the stuffed animal shelf. Stuffed animals that aren't loved anymore that sit on the shelf and collect dust. So I pick up and Eeyore, the one that was Connor's very first stuffed animal. The one he hugged and drooled on and loved one hundred times over. I looked at Connor and he said throw it away. Pausing for a minute I ratioalized why I would want to keep it and we're military so we move...I threw it away. Along with a little people farm (Brae prefers Diego over little people), and a little people garage (both boys prefer Hot Wheels).

All day yesterday I pondered what I had done. These were first toys for my first child. But rationally they had been outgorwn and shouldn't they bring joy to some other little person??? Sigh... So when I got home last night, I pulled the Eeyore. I put him in the trunk that we have fort he boys. And around his neck has an envelope with a note. And it reads:

"Dear Connor,
This was your very first stuffed animal. He went everywhere with you the first six months of your life. I know it's silly of me to be attached to a stuffed animal, but I couldn't throw him away. If you are reading this, you are old enough to decide whether you want to keep this or get rid of it. Eeyore shared many happy times with us. I love you. Love, Mom"

Am I insane? It's a stuffed animal! There will be many toys that don't make it to boys' chest, but it's sometimes so sad to let them go. Sigh...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i have a good friend whose son was attached to his stuffed elmo as a child. they put him in a shadow box and used blocks to spell "elmo" out ....and to this day it hangs on her 15 year old son's wall....and he chooses to have it there! i love the note idea!!!!! gonna have to catalog that one!