Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Meet my friend, Mike

Okay, so I don't ordinarily do this, and quite frankly I hope Mike doesn't get mad at me for doing this, but meet my friend, Mike. I have known Mike for almost 20 years (good grief it doesn't seem that long), and in that time, I have known Mike to have a few passions... Off road bike riding and beer. Ha Ha Ha... I'm kidding! Well, about the beer part kind of. Anyway, he's picked up a recent passion thanks to the new love of his life, Megan. He is now a very avid runner and an inspiration to me! He even manages two blogs A Beginning Runner's Experience and RASTRO! so check them out!

Anyway, this past weekend Mike and Megan along with "their team" completed an 8K run for the Children for Kings Daughters Children's Hospital in Norfolk, Virgina. CHKD is held very dear to many of us who live in and around the Tidewater area as this hospital is one of the major children's hospitals on the East Coast. Seriously sick children are seen at this hospital, and most of us in the area know someone who has had a child seen there or one of our own children has been seen there. Mike is no different. His niece was diagnosed with tumor in her arm at the age of 8, and had to have major surgery and radiation. WOW! Being a nursing student myself and taking care of my Mom after radiation therapy, I can tell you NO ONE should go through that especially not little people! So what did Mike do? He ran!!! Not just Mike ran... Mike had a team! Several of Mike's friend's joined him in the race to help raise $1,000  for the 'Kids' and their families! Take a look!!! This is how he did.

So why did I blog today about my friend, Mike? Because I am SUPER proud of him and his team! Keep up the good work Mike and Megan!!! I am certainly cheering you and team RASTRO! from down here in Texas!!! I know you guys will be awesome in the Mud Run!

2 comments:

bloaker said...

I don't mind at all Shannon, it was a good time and I am lookign forward to the mud run.

Here are direct links to the CHKD runs.

http://rastro-bloaker.blogspot.com/2010/03/team-rastro-has-official-event-planned.html

http://bloaker.blogspot.com/2010/06/5-miles-8k-chkd-runwalk-for-kids.html

Mrs4444 said...

This is really nice. He sounds like a great guy :)