Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wilderness Discoveries

Since Mark has been gone we have had so many wilderness discoveries at our house. In the Fall we had our friend the flying squirrel return down out chimney. He was a real treat too! I always worry that the little squirrel will get stuck or die in the chimney. Lucky for me they find their way out... Phew.

This Spring we had a BIG box turtle. Connor toted that sucker everywhere for about 15 minutes before things were a little quiet and I notice what he was carrying. I've never seen two six year olds move faster until I told them turtles carry Samonella and they could get stomach bugs. Turtles are to be looked at NOT touched. He apparently didn't like the journey either as we left him in the back yard and when I came back he was out of there! :)

Oh, and there is the red fox that is pregnant that decided to make a nest under the neighbor's deck. Umm... Yeah. I left the basement door a jar and swore for the rest of the weekend it had made a home in our basement. I am NOT a fox fan!

And tonight... WE FINALLY saw a chipmunk. I have been wanting the boys to see one as I have had to explain them more than a dozen times & how they are NOT like squirrels. Well, they are, but they aren't. Phew... This was was sitting right outside our patio door and he was just too cute!

Wildlife in DC... Who would have guessed?

No comments: