Sunday, May 16, 2010

Butterfly Kisses

When my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, she told us not to worry. She would always be with us. The last time I saw my Mom alive, she told the nurses and I that she would be re-incarnated as a butterfly so she should fly free and visit everyone without spooking them. :)

Last Spring we visited the San Antonio Zoo which has an awesome butterfly exhibit. I have to admit, I was super excited because I was feeling sad and a bit lonely with both M deployed and my Mom gone, and was hoping that maybe I would feel her presence there. Even the boys were excited! When we entered there were millions of colorful butterflies flying through the air. Some landing on people and some resting just long enough to take a picture. As we enjoyed their graceful flights, I couldn't help be feel saddened by the fact that I just didn't feel the presence of my Mom there. But then I thought about who my Mom was... She was such a free spirit and enjoyed people and life. My Mom wouldn't be the one inside... She would be the butterfly flying around outdoors... Free!

When we came home that night from San Antonio, there was a mysterious butterfly flying around our house. I wondered if it was my Mom saying, "Hey kid! You are right! I'm free and I'm stopping by to say hello!"

I hadn't thought about that for awhile.... Until this weekend C "crossed over" for cub scouts (details on that coming soon), and as we were eating our hot dog lunch this butterfly got in my face and would not stop fluttering as around despite my bobbing and weaving. It landed just for a minute right where my heart would be and I KNEW that was my Mom! And she was going to watch her grandson get bigger, and her daughter lead him through the ritual of "crossing over." What a WONDERFUL gift that was for me! And it truly made my day! Thank you, Mom for my Butterfly kisses!!! Please stop by any time!


San Antonio Zoo- Butterfly exhibit


One of the handsomest butterflies I know!


My other handsome butterfly!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

How sweet! I knew when I saw the title you'd be posting about your lunchtime visitor ;)
I'm with you, I think she would be the one flying free, not cooped up at the zoo.

Mrs4444 said...

This is BEAUTIFUL. I'm happy for you.