I know I'm a little late, but I was spending much needed time with my family this Memorial Day. You see, I've learned over the years that when you are a military family, time is precious and seconds count.
I am proud to be an Army wife. Sometimes it really sucks, but I'm still very proud of my husband and what he does. So many people say he is nuts! Heck, sometimes I think he is nuts, but I understand that my husband has come to grips with what he may be dealt. He is probably far more comfortable than you and I with what can happen in the combat zone, and for that he is my hero.
I remember going to DC with my Mom when I was little; maybe 7-8 years old. She took me and the neighbor up to tour the monuments. I remember seeing Lincoln Memorial and I think I probably have a dozen or so Polaroids of my friend A and I at the Washington Zoo, but more importantly I remember visiting "the wall." I didn't understand it at the time and I must have asked my Mom a dozen or more stupid questions about "the wall." I just didn't understand. I remember my Mom saying she hoped I never had to understand. I think my Mom kept me naive about the Vietnam Memorial for many years and I don't think we ever really talked about it. I would understand in about 20 years though. I would understand so clearly that I share her same feelings... I hope that my children NEVER have to know a person on a Memorial Wall.
It wasn't until the War in Iraq that I truly understood the loss of a soldier. I mean you are bound to know someone in the population of 600,000. That seems like a large number to so many yet in the military community it is so small. I remember my husband's first deployment, and I remember the call that told me one of M's friends was coming home. I didn't know Scott Sather, but my husband did. They were close and they grew up not too far away from each other. M really cared about Scott and his death rattled M. Not rattled enough to scare M out of the military, but enough that he knew what could happen in the battlefield. To this day M wears a bracelet that bears Scott's name, and I received several e-mails while M was deployed about the airfield that bears Scott's name. I wish Scott had been the only one to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country, but several others would also give that sacrifice ( Bob Horrigan, Andy Fernandez, Kelly Hornbeck) in such a small window of time. I mourned for the families of these soldiers each one knowing what their fate may be... It wasn't until it touched someone close to me that my heart sank and I understood my husband's strength and understanding of military life.
We were stationed in DC, and M called my office and asked if I was sitting down. He told me that Ivica had been killed while in Iraq. During M's first deployment Ivica was on Rear Detachment and took most of my frantic crazy woman first time Mom calls... Like the time I forgot to close the door all the way and the door blew open so I was afraid to go in with my brand new baby or the time I packed batteries in a care package and it ticked so they were just a tad concerned about what was in the box. And of course he was the one who helped me get the expedited passport in case something should happen to M and I needed to get to Germany. He was also the one that called me to let me know that M was coming home. I remember threatening him within an inch of his life if he was telling a lie. But most of all, I enjoyed his story about overcoming hardships to be a part of a country that was free. He truly KNEW what sacrifice was about on multiple levels. It hit me hard that Ivica was killed. I think I sat there in shock for a minute before I bombarded M with a million questions about what went wrong.
I wish I could say that these men are the only ones that have given their lives that I knew, but I can't. It seems like ions ago when this all started... But this Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom War(s) has continued to take great people. Joseph Fortin and Mark Stratton are newest people added to the list of lost soldiers I knew. Two great men taken too early.
So you can see... I take Memorial Day to heart, and I cherish the time I have with my hero. Life is way too short not to laugh out loud, try something different, and enjoy our friends and family especially those who serve; for they know the ultimate sacrifice.
1 comment:
Yes, they do. Thank you (and your husband). I appreciate your sacrifice, too.
Post a Comment